This search is a little different from the others. Less about a particular topic that might be useful to your writing, I figured I’d compile some resources on writing that dreaded first chapter.
Every author, every story, is different. These are more like “guidelines” than rules, but they should help you better explore the beginning of your work.
If you have more resources to add, please comment below! Thanks for reading and sharing.
What to Do
- 8 Ways to Write a 5-Star Chapter One – by Elizabeth Sims for Writer’s Digest
- Ask a Published Author – What needs to be in the first chapter? A Camp NaNoWriMo guest blog written by Jennifer Bosworth
- Compelling Opening Chapters – A multi-part exploration by Writers’ Treasure
What to Avoid
- How Not to Start a Novel – Four things to avoid on page one. Written by Janice Hardy for Anne R. Allen’s blog
- Openings: 5 Ways They Go Wrong – By Darcy Pattison
- The Worst Ways to Begin Your Novel – Advice from literary agents by The Write Life
- 33 of the Most Hilariously Terrible First Sentences in Literature History – To remind yourself that it could be worse. 😉